Monday, January 19, 2015

Options

I feel like I am on the verge of something big and life changing.
I don't talk much about work here. For almost 10 years, I have worked at a Residential Treatment Center for adolescents. Many of the students have some kind of psychiatric issue they are working on. Since April, I have filled the role of Nurse Case Manager. In this role, I act as patient advocate for  my assigned kids, and track and help them with medical, health, wellness and even psych issues, I work with the treatment team closely to ensure an individualized approach. I work closely with the students, helping them with health related issues. I have taken a very holistic approach and have worked closely with the students, parents, therapists, residential staff and other partners on the team.
We got a new director of nursing last month, and the very first thing she did after being announced was remove me from the position. I was an easy cut because I was part time. The option left to me is to be in the PRN pool of nurses who just fill in whenever it is necessary. After the work I was doing, this is not rewarding at all and there are no guaranteed hours. It's a long story with a lot more details. In short, instead of feeling appreciated and valued for my skills, I feel the opposite. 
The problem is that it is difficult to find a place where my very unique set of skills fit. I have 10 years mental health experience, knowledge and skills in health and wellness, coaching capabilities (I taught the students individually and in group settings), and a passion to empower people.
One thing I have realized over the last few years is, there are so many health professionals, physical and emotional, who are limited in their abilities to work with their clientele. They don't have the time to give support that is often very needed. While I cannot diagnose, treat, heal, or prescribe, I can provide support and guidance. This could be very helpful as people learn to make changes and new habits. My strengths and set of skills fit well in this area. Maybe it is time to start thinking outside of "the Box."
While I am still looking for a job, I am researching and exploring what it would take to create my own business as a Health and Wellness/Lifestyle Mentor. The more I network, the more I like the idea, and I am finding other people who like the idea as well. 


2 comments:

  1. You would be an awesome mentor! You have skills and talents that would benefit so many who are struggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being supportive! Besides being an awesome Mom, you are a great example of a mentor.

    ReplyDelete